Kate Winslet. Zooey Deschanel. Jessica Simpson. Different styles and personalities? Sure. But they do all have one thing in common: glorious romantic curls.
Just what makes a head of curls “romantic”? While long tresses are the go-to image for typical romantic curls, almost any hair length can achieve this look by keeping the curls soft, loose, and light. What is the opposite of a romantic curl? Think prom nights or talent shows–the romantic look is a far cry from anything overdone that simply tries too hard.
Ready to get those easy-breezy first-date curls? It’s simple:
1. Start with clean hair that you washed and blow-dried the day before. The curls you’ll be creating will need some of your natural oils to hold on to.
2. Blow-dry your hair. Blow-drying with a round brush smooths down the cuticle of your hair and creates volume and shine.
3. Secure your hair into three sections with clips: left, right, and the top part of the back. Leave the bottom section of the back loose–you’ll be starting there.
4. Separate the first section of hair out into several smaller sections, spraying with a light-hold hairspray. Wrap each one around a 1” wand curling iron, alternating directions every time.
5. When you’re finished curling each section of your hair, emulsify a little shine serum in your hands and use your fingers to gently separate out the curls until they look soft and natural.